Is the Prime suitable, for me
03-29-2014, 05:07 AM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me
Thanks to all who replied.

This is a truly amazing place to be. Intelligent useful conversation.

I didn't realise how much I missed an HP calculator till I took that look 4 days ago.

My take away from this:

1. The Prime is not right for me. After my first /fifteen or twenty minutes with RPN (many, many years ago, probably on a 21 or maybe a 35) I realised that it was just so right. It kinda clicked with how my brain works, cutting out all the clutter imposed by traditional syntax. (So I don't understand people who think RPN is hard, I find it easier!) The Prime can't be programmed that way, which just rules it out, out, OUT.
  2. I had noticed the 50g which looks truly impressive. The graphing and the language which takes code as arguments are things I'd put into my own design (if I were to go that way). Need to try the language, but it looks good to me. (Even though I haven't seen one yet I even started dreaming of a language I'd like it to have...)
  3. I wasn't aware of the 34S, so thanks for all who mentioned that.
  4. On smart phones. I used and loved the 21, the 29C and various 41's. I never had empathy with carrying a phone and still don't. In fact, I had expected to see the average Joe carrying around a great calculator, descended from the RPN line, by now. Instead I see huge uptake of these reputedly-smart phones. Disappointed in the course of history to put it mildly!
  5. I think that by excluding a great programming system from the Prime, some people have been deprived of thought enhancement, condemned to a lesser life, a bad move.
  6. I'll check out the emulators, and will explore 34 and 50g further.
  7. My main concern then is whether a new machine is in the works. Say along the line of the 50g just more so.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is the Prime suitable, for me - Mike Gale - 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - 1HPGuy - 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - Mike Gale - 03-29-2014 05:07 AM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)