I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
11-19-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 10:59 AM by webmasterpdx.)
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor.
emacs is too big. Vi fits in 10K.

Vi is a very powerful editor. Ask yourself this. I have 2 tests I give an editor. The first is simply to change a file with C++ comments to C comments. The second is to take a file of text and swap the first and last characters of each word. If you can't do that quickly in one or two commands, it's not an editor worth my time. I don't think notepad++ can do the latter.
Anyone who had trouble with vi, just didn't learn how to use it....it's called laziness.

BTW....here is how I'd do those 2 tasks in vi:

C++ to C comments:

:1,$g/\/\//s/$/\*\//
:1,$s/\/\//\/\*/

Swap first and last characters of each word in a text file:
Code:

:1,$s/\([^ ]\)\([a-zA-Z]\)\([a-zA-Z]*\)\([a-zA-Z]\)\([ $]\)/\1\4\3\2\5/g

I know you can do the same things in emacs, but you'd have to write a script for each....in vi you can just do it on the fly...no scripts needed....and like I said, fits in 10K.

Saying vi is unproductive is like saying command lines are of no use....I can be 1000 times more productive in a linux command line than I can be in windows. In fact, in windows I use cygwin to do my development as it's so much faster.....try doing grep from a gui :-) ....and as for visual studio...give me a break....that thing takes 20 minutes just to start up. vi takes 2 seconds....
I'll use GUI's for doing stuff like wysiwyg gui builder tools, but when I have some serious coding to do, I'll always go with vim (the expanded vi...which can do every single thing that visual studio can with respect to editing, except 1000 times faster...like code completion, etc, etc.).

Anyways, I'm not asking for vi (I know editors are like religion), just that kind of functionality.....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'd really like to see some imrovements to the in-calculator program editor. - webmasterpdx - 11-19-2017 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)