Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
10-05-2017, 12:25 AM
RE: Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention.
(10-04-2017 08:45 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Anyway, just for info, I bought the usb drive from the MoHPC.

As I said many times, I am a bit surprised by the lack of documents about the 49g+/50g/prime but it does not matter because the forum (especially the new one MyBB based with the software section) offset this.

First, thanks for supporting the MoHPC site pier4r. The more folks that do so, the longer it will remain available for us to use for our common hobby.

Second, I was not looking to assign blame, only to suggest that before trying something like wget -all, it's probably best to ask the community, as many of us frankly have tried doing the same thing with similar results. I can't say if this means that the site is fragile or not, I don't run it, nor know anything about configuring myBB. But I do know that many host sites will 'react' to prevent mass wget requests, and it appears that is happening here.

Third, I've no special knowledge of the arrangements Dave Hicks has with HP regarding distribution of the manuals, etc. but having been involved in similar arrangements between companies and customer/fan organizations, I can say that it is common to allow distribution of information regarding discontinued models, while simultaneously disallowing similar distribution for current products. This helps support customers of those past models at no cost to the manufacturer, while also maintaining control of support for customers of current models.

The 49g/49g+/48gII/50g are all very similar (from a manual/documentation perspective) and the last of these models (50g) was only discontinued less than a year ago, so it's reasonable to conclude the above restrictions were in place, at least until recently, and since no new versions of the MoHPC collection have been released since then, it's impossible to say if they are forthcoming.

Of course, the 50g AUR and User Guide have been available from multiple other sources, both in PDF and printed form, for many years, so the fact that they're missing here is not much of an impact; I'm sure there are multiple links in these very pages for downloading both these docs, plus others.

Hopefully, the 50g docs will be in a future release as additional incentive for fans to buy the doc set and further support the site.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did I wreck the site? Was not my intention. - rprosperi - 10-05-2017 12:25 AM
What about an European MoHPC hub? - Dieter - 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)