HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
09-27-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2017 08:20 PM by Vincent Weber.)
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ?
I don't actually *hate* RPL the way Valentin and others do. I have been programming in RPL a lot back in 1991 on my trusty 48SX. It is an interesting, unified paradigm. I actually like its LISP side (self modifying software) but I came to dislike its FORTH side: everthing is in the stack, you must remember where, and do acrobatic DUP, ROT, ROLL, OVER...statements just to place things right. Which is a completely useless activity (the fun side apart) when you try to program an algorithm, all the more than you are on a handled device, so you need straight to the point simplicity rather than a full fledge OO language, for which I would prefer Java or C# on my PC...
Simple RPN and BASIC share this "simplicity on mobility" concept. And advanced BASIC such as HP-71B one, TI-89 one or HPPL have nothing to envy to RPL as far as sophisticated data types are concerned - you can easily manipulate matrices, lists, complex numbers with them, in a much more natural way that in RPL.
RPN made sense back in the days where algebraic entry was a pain (like on the TI-59) typing all these parentheses in the blind. It still makes sense on pocket calculators, because of its inner simplicity and elegance. But RPL is a weird hybrid concept: mixing RPN with commands - which turns into unnecessary complexity.

As someone once said: RPL makes complicated things simple, but simple things complicated Smile
And complicated things can be done even easier than RPL in advanced BASIC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime - worthy successor to HP-71B ? - Vincent Weber - 09-27-2017 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)