HP 12C Permutation and Combination
08-18-2017, 01:05 PM
RE: HP 12C Permutation and Combination
(08-17-2017 04:53 AM)Gamo Wrote:  How about a Pricing Program that calculate the Price, Cost, Margin, and Mark Up
Since the HP 12C didn't have this feature and is a must have feature for a Financial Calculator. When you know the two variables and it will calculate the other two unknown variables. I did this on the Solve App on HP Prime and it work perfectly but I always wish I have this pricing feature for HP 12C

Thank You

Gamo

Hi Gamo,

For most of these problems it's simple enough just to use the various % functions to calculate what you need. Maybe the only difficulty is remembering how to convert a know margin to a markup or vice-versa, or at least doing it in an efficient way. It's late at night and I don't have my calculator on me but I imagine using Dieters idea of x=0? to separate the two would be the best way to go about it. The keystrokes needed are- If margin is known: e.g. 30- 30 enter enter 1 x<>y % - /, if markup is know then it's the same but replace the - with a +

I'm starting to formulate in my mind a way that you could store the known variables and then have the unknowns stored e.g. in 1 for cost, 2 for price, 3 for markup, 4 for margin. I haven't had much experience programming the 12c aside from automating simple repetitive tasks so I'll have to spend some time thinking about it, maybe in the morning if I've got some time. Mostly inspired to do it a learning exercise.

Occasionally I'll use one of my other financial calculators that have menu based functions and think how it can make things simpler or more intuitive, but I like that the 12c makes me understand a bit more what is going on in calculations like this. And this is one of those cases where it's faster to just do the manual calculation- and in many cases doing it manually will actually give you more information e.g. if you know your margin % and your price, what is cost, and what is the margin in $ terms i.e. gross profit. The menu based system will leave you to calculate that GP figure, but using RPN and doing it manually you will come up with the figure naturally.

One area I do really appreciate a menu driven system with labels is in amortization schedules, but for the most part I'm finding the 12c just makes sense, and it feels faster.

Regards,

Zac
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP 12C Permutation and Combination - Gamo - 08-15-2017, 04:54 AM
RE: HP 12C Permutation and Combination - Zac Bruce - 08-18-2017 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)