Teaching kids real math with computers/calculators
06-26-2017, 09:32 PM
RE: Teaching kids real math with computers/calculators
(06-26-2017 02:16 PM)compsystems Wrote:  From rockets to stock markets, many of humanity's most thrilling creations are powered by math. So why do kids lose interest in it?

Because of the way it is taught. All kids are different, yet the school system expects them to all be the same. My son can do complex math in his head and get it right every time but low eye hand coordination makes it take much longer when he has to show every simple step of work.

One of the common core methods the school was forcing my daughter to learn, I looked it up and the reason for it was "some students have problems with method x so we suggest method y. Some was bolded by me, the school was forcing all students to use method Y even if they were not the some that it made more sense for. if they were in the some that method X worked better for they were screwed.

Rocketmath is the other mistake the schools are doing. Start in the early grades (1st and second) and have the student work problems as fast as possible and grade on time. Then when they get in the habbit of working too fast expect them to slow down and be more accurate. Completely backwards, doesn't matter if they are learning math, music, or a "sport" they need to start slow and work their way to fast.

Our education system has really suffered in the last few years, we have to employ tutors because while we can get the right answer we can't teach the over complex methods in use now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teaching kids real math with computers/calculators - EugeneNine - 06-26-2017 09:32 PM
Calculators for kids - Csaba Tizedes - 08-26-2018, 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)