Code:

f1(x):=x^2-5
f2:=x->x^3+6

Both functions are now listed under
[Shift] -> [Toolbox|Mem] -> CAS Vars
Code:

f1 (Function)
f2 (Function)

First insight for me: You can define functions in the CAS with either mothods shown above and you get the same result. This is not a surprise but good to know.

When you want to use these functions in your calculations you can choose them from
[Vars] -> CAS -> Program

This was my first confusion as a beginner with the HP Prime: You are entering a function and it is stored as such in the memory but when you want to choose it from [Vars] you have to know that a CAS function is a (CAS) program. This was my second insight.

Now let us switch to Program:
[Shift] -> Program

Both functions created above appear in this list:
Code:

f1 (CAS)
f2 (CAS)

There is a hint (CAS) that f1 and f2 are belonging to the CAS. It is great that you can edit and extend them in the program editor.

The summary of my insights:
A function created in the CAS is a CAS function which is a CAS program and it is stored in CAS variable.

If you know that this is due to functional programming then this is logical. But I didn't know that the CAS allows functional programming and was lost in the beginning. I therefore suggest to to add a seperate functional programming chapter to the HP Prime User Guide.

Are my reflections and insights correct?

Many thanks for reading this and your feedbacks.

Best,
Dominik
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Functions Created in CAS - My Insights - Dominik Holenstein - 02-15-2014 06:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)