How to make a custom HP-41 rom for the rest of us
08-04-2016, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 09:54 AM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: How to make a custom HP-41 rom for the rest of us
If I've been able to do it then anybody else can too. The key is the development environment - several tools exist, some more professional than others and usually the more professional the more background knowledge is required.

For instance I don't use a "proper" compiler/assembler, rather some excel sheets and macros. This is involved; you need to do some manual steps that normally will be handled by the assembler - but the editing capabilities are unbeatable: copy, paste, move, swap, replace, hyperlinks...

Since I have all the source code already in excel templates, the "GeneDream" module could be put together in a couple of hours using this method - although I'd suggest some consolidation of functions into more-capable ones, with prompting options - but this is a personal thing.

I've never tried the ROM MAKER posted at TOS, but it sounds like a good idea for relatively simple modules, without lots of common subroutines or advanced features (say tables, secondary FAT's, bank-switched pages...). Also I think that tool doesn't run on Windoze, is that correct??

'Best,
ÁM

PS. Probably the "couple of hours" estimation is wrong: I didn't notice those Card-Reader functions, which will add substantial time to the project (not so trivial...)

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to make a custom HP-41 rom for the rest of us - Ángel Martin - 08-04-2016 05:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)