41 Programs for 7470 Plotter - Why so few?
07-27-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: 41 Programs for 7470 Plotter - Why so few?
(07-27-2016 09:23 AM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  
(07-27-2016 06:27 AM)hth Wrote:  ... (and I do not count making bar codes as a killer app today)

As we deal here with obsolete hardware that made history we also mind old software. So all ancient killer applications could be well known today. When I look back I remember only two outstanding "killer apps" worth to mention, one is - no: was! - >>Mollier's h,X-Program for Water-Humidified Air<< I did more than 30 years ago on the HP-41, the other one was Mind Mapping on HP200LX. In addition I'd like to emphasise on the emulators and simulations of the old junk that allows me to play with old stuff on new machinery - this enables me to link an emulated HP-71B per virtual IL to z/VM running under Hercules with other simulated IL devices all on the same laptop.

So, what would be in your opinion a today's killer app?

Ciao.....Mike

BTW: all this virtualisation gives me access to 'toys' I could never afford as real HW. Emulators ar the poor man's hardware, what brings some kind of democratisation: everybody may go for his own "killer app".

I remember back then that a killer app was weather data plotting used for forecasts, this was at an airport. It plotted on already printed maps, probably about DIN A2 sized plotters.

Business graphics was also used. I came to that place later, the HP plotter had been phased out and put in the storage, later to be thrown. I tried to stop it, but could not take the plotter, it was too big. (It did not have HP-IL, I checked carefully.)

Barcodes was kind of promoted back then and the 7470 definitely should have a better job compared to most other printers around that era. Today we have postscript printers, so I see that as a bit obsolete.

Today I guess that if it would be possible to pull data from internet, weather data and flight information (I have no idea if such feeds are available) pops into my mind now, it could serve as a basis for something. An emulator could plot on a background map image, similiar to back then. Such feeds (if available) could perhaps be turned into an HP-IL device in a virtualization environment.

It does not have to be useful, but it does not hurt as it may provide inspiration to actually make progress.

Still looking for a font, it would make things easier I think... Do you use one, or do you draw it manually? I tried to google and there are good hits, but I have no idea how the actual 7470 characters look. I saw some pictures of them 30 years ago, but I cannot use that dusty memory picture to judge alternatives..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)