Can I access keys by their names
08-12-2016, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 06:43 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: Can I access keys by their names
I would like to suggest a useful feature: Some way of enabling or highlighting a list of keys from within a program.

An earlier version of my Periodic Table program allowed the user to choose how to select an element: "Symb" key to input Au, "Enter" to enter "gold", etc.

I needed some way of reminding the users which keys were implemented.

Given the current technology, I tried DRAWMENU("Symb","Enter")..
This listed the keys, but was confusing - so far, my program has no touch interface, so instead of tapping Symb on-screen you have to hit the Symbol key.

What I really wanted was a command like
ENABLEKEYS({"Symb","Enter"})
that on the emulator would highlight the keys the keys that the user can use in some way.

On the real hardware that would not be possible, so one would need a way of bringing up a helpful choose list on-screen:
ENABLEKEYS({""Symb","Press Symb to input symbol"}) etc.

Some users might find it much easier to select from a choose list of a limited number of usable keys, than to hunt for those keys over the full keyboard.

Of course, I could pop-up such a list on--screen myself in response to some key or other...
But then each program's mechanism for accessing the key prompt would be different....
Nicer to have a standard key, and one able to change the colour of the emulator keys too.

Also possible, would be an option for keys not enabled to be ignored by GETKEY/ISKEYDOWN.

My latest version of the program eliminates most keypad entry and uses a choose list instead, but highlighting keys in use would still be useful.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can I access keys by their names - StephenG1CMZ - 08-12-2016 06:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)