Calculator restoration: repairing paint loss
07-02-2016, 04:01 AM
RE: Calculator restoration: repairing paint loss
The wear I have looks as though it comes from years of wiping the display glass and rubbing off the paint along an edge in the process. Wish HP could have done a better job with the base coat!

I've tried using a brown Sharpie to cover the exposed metal bezel, but obviously that doesn't match the original color. I can get a somewhat better color match by alternating brown and black Sharpie layers and rubbing each layer afterwards, while the ink is still wet, to blend the colors.

I've seen a number of artist pens in various colors that can be blended to get the right color, but being water-based I'd guess the result would not last too long. Maybe applying a protective coat afterwards would do the trick?

I've hesitated to use acrylic paint because brushing it on would leave an obvious raised area. Spray painting might be a good approach though. Even if the color doesn't match exactly, I've seen some two-tone Pioneer faces, like the 21S & 32S. Maybe a contrasting upper plate would be attractive, and draw the eye away from someone's initials gouged into the bezel Smile

Anyway, I do remember a thread somewhere about replacing the bezel or its upper part (perhaps by Geoff?). There seem to be shoeboxes full of HP10B's at flea markets, so a donor might not be too hard to find. Definitely worth reporting back if I have any success.

A last question - has anyone worked with inkjet printed model decals? A real lost cause calculator might be restored by painting the entire bezel after suitable cleaning and preparation, followed by applying water-slide decals that match the original lettering as close as possible. I swear some of the late model calculators look as though they've used decals instead of silk screening.

Thanks!
~ Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Airbrush would be best - striegel - 07-01-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: Calculator restoration: repairing paint loss - mfleming - 07-02-2016 04:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)