Plotting a user function?
10-02-2015, 05:26 AM
RE: Plotting a user function?
Hello,

> The embedded help for UNCHECK only describes the UNCHECK(n) syntax.

The list use of most function is NOT described in the function help itself (as a mater of fact, I do not know where it is described)...

The reason for this is that, deep down, the functions do NOT implement list processing.

List processing is implemented at the level evaluating the function, not in the function evaluation.

So, if the system sees a + and see that arg 1is a list and arg 2 is NOT a list, then it will call + n times, with each element of list 1 and with a copy of arg 2 and construct the resulting list. The + function is NOT aware that it is doing list processing.

This is great, because any new function created WILL implement list processing automatically/by itself, without the function creator having to do anything.

But it means that it is often an overlooked function when doing documentation.

Some functions specifically flag the evaluator as: Not list processing friendly. In this case, list processing does get disabled. As a general rule, this is the case for all the functions that have special processing for lists.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Plotting a user function? - veeblefester - 02-09-2014, 01:09 AM
RE: Plotting a user function? - Giancarlo - 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: Plotting a user function? - jte - 02-28-2014, 02:21 AM
RE: Plotting a user function? - Giancarlo - 02-28-2014, 07:00 AM
RE: Plotting a user function? - cyrille de brébisson - 10-02-2015 05:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)