stdevp( ) appears to be mislabeled
06-06-2016, 06:23 AM
RE: stdevp( ) appears to be mislabeled
This is inferential statistics, which is advanced statistics. Before teaching that, I'm strongly convinced that one should teach descriptive statistics, including of course mean and standard deviation of a statistical serie (like for example the grades of students or the height...). And here it is of course divided by N and it is straightforward to explain why, while it is not for the unbiaised estimator from a sample (and in general inferential statistics is much more complicated to understand than descriptive statistics and I don't think you can understand inferential statistics if you don't have already well mastered descriptive statistics). That's why I'm convinced that the good name in a math package (especially in a calc) should be the shortest if one divides by N (i.e. stddev) and I won't change that.
Of course I agree that the documentation or even the menu items should make the distinction the clearest possible, I think it's clear in Xcas, but this does not depend on me on the Prime.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: stdevp( ) appears to be mislabeled - parisse - 06-06-2016 06:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)