Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
03-27-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc
I have messed around with all sorts of programmable portable devices. Older ones - like the Psion Organiser 2 - present you with the problem of inconvenient connectivity, though I remember that the OPL language was easy to get into and you can pick up a Psion for very little money.

Language wise, for a long time I had a sort of C phobia, working mostly with Borland Delphi, and prior to that Turbo Pascal. Then I got into Arduino and actually found the transition straightforward. My Arduino C listings tend to have a Pascal look and feel but I get by.

The good things about Arduino:

Simple USB connectivity
Cheap hardware - Arduino Uno for 10 dollars, LCD display for similar amount
Free IDE, with loads of code libraries support forums, etc.
The C programming skills acquired are transferable to hundreds of other systems/scenarios (micro controller programmers make the world go around)

The only drawback is that you have to build your own portable gizmos - but that is also a good thing for an aspiring computer scientist to do.

My other low cost suggestion is to buy an old Texas TI57/58/59 programmable calculator. This would definitely widen you coding experience in the direction of quasi-assembly language. The manuals for these calculators are very good for learners. Getting a TI 5x up and running will almost certainly involve some kind of rechargeable battery transplant and you have to be sure that the one you buy hasn't been trashed by battery leakage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perfect Programming PDA/Palmtop/Calc - Chasfield - 03-27-2016 09:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)