Some integrals with problematic evaluation
04-02-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation
I don't know about the memory management strategies used in the HP Prime OS/CAS; but if it differs from that of the emulator's, then perhaps it would be preferable to call it a simulator, ultimately; from what you just said, it sounds that it doesn't exactly replicate the underlying state of the real device (as memory constraints, for example.) While it is justifiable not to replicate everything, such as system clock timing during calculations, so that you get your results quicker, but it's not justifiable to make the software on the PC behave differently than the device would in real life, as far as the results are concerned; it's cool, I'm not trying to put blame on you with it, I'm just saying maybe it wasn't such a great idea for them to allow different memory usage - as long as we're not getting expansion possibilities for the real world device and could shove in a 64Gb piece of DDR3 memory or something of the sort... for one thing, it can possibly mislead the people wanting to buy the device, believing that their calculator would behave identical as the simulator.

But since the calculator manufacturers are still focusing on selling their hardware, as opposed to simulators/emulators (though the emus are a nice addition), I judged it'd be better to test on the actual raw iron. The proof of the pudding, you see... or "c'est à l'usage qu'on peut juger" from what I could find. Much like how it is with engineering - ultimately, it boils down to "is it doable in real life, without having to use space age technology?" And the other reason why I'm focusing on testing the real-life units now is that ultimately, that's where people would likely have problems in real-life situations. If you are using a computer to emulate them, it's not that bad - but for any real usage, you'd fire up Mathematica, xcas/giac, Maple, Matlab, wxMaxima or something similar on that computer instead (your preferences may vary.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some integrals - parisse - 03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation - quinyu - 04-02-2016 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)