Some integrals with problematic evaluation
03-23-2016, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 11:46 PM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation
(03-23-2016 10:28 PM)quinyu Wrote:  Sure. Starting from the basic assumption that the HP Prime was meant to be aimed mainly at education (which might be wrong, but from the advertising that it had, that's how it came across):

Nope, not wrong. Even with the areas we'd like to improve in the UI I think it is the most powerful calculator out there though.

Quote: while it might do things, it does not have any step-by-step mode in places where it would matter the most, not even as an optional switch/configuration setting.

Well, that is a very recent development in xcas and is still "experimental" at this point unless I'm mistaken.

Quote:This can be integration, solving of general or differential equations, you name it. The calculator spits out a result, do what you will with it - in this respect, the 50g is actually more helpful with the proper settings.

Are you running with the "simplification" setting in CAS settings on "maximum"? Basically, "none" will do nothing. "Minimum" calls the xcas "regroup" command, and "maximum" calls the simplify command. My default xcas setting seems to be "regoup" now.

Quote:Simplify... well, it might simplify or not, it's hard to measure the "simplicity" of an expression, although if I look at a tree representation of it, it would likely be possible to select the tree with smallest average depth,

Yeah, it is tricky. I think the problem here is it wants to put everything over a single denominator. The "normal" command probably does a better job in most cases.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some integrals - parisse - 03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation - Tim Wessman - 03-23-2016 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)