New third party firmware (Not HP'PRIME TEAM)
12-30-2015, 03:08 PM
RE: New third party firmware (Not HP'PRIME TEAM)
(12-30-2015 01:46 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Comparing new software development to a terrorist act seems completely out of line here.

Please don't hang your hat on the first part of that phrase, the pertinent part is the last... "if it blows up prematurely," essentially, who cares?

To clarify, it's not about "new software development," you missed that part. It's about non-descriptive third party software (in this case). Users may be able to read something about it, but third party firmware is unrestricted in consequence, ("if it blows up prematurely...").

(12-30-2015 01:46 PM)Claudio L. Continuing, also ' Wrote:  Creating a new firmware doesn't require "devious methods", just reading some manuals and basic information about the physical device.

A suite of tools are employed to crack existing software, etc. These 'devices' are the "devious," [devised], means referred to; not to mention the many hours spent in the pursuit. The Prime, as far as I know, is not open source. I know that legalities are the first victims to fall, and to be clear, I'm just a sidewalk citizen here, not attempting to police anything.

To me, legitimate software improvements have much more intrinsic value, if for no other reason than hp support. Suitably motivated, anyone can hack the device, but few can you do that with the blessing of full hp support. This is just my personal opinion, so no need for further discussion. I completely understand that my opinion isn't likely to change entrenched philosophy.

The only take away is that I'm not, personally, interested in this third party offering; but remain open to what might result if it does get buy in, in a legitimate way. Thus, it's merely my response to the OP, questioning the lack of interest in this third party firmware...

Good luck, Claudio!

-Dale-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New third party firmware (Not HP'PRIME TEAM) - DrD - 12-30-2015 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)