HP41: Updated RUBIK's / CHESS modules
12-25-2017, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2017 08:41 AM by Ángel Martin.)
RE: HP41: Updated RUBIK's / CHESS modules
(12-24-2017 08:41 AM)mstram Wrote:  The program seems to work (haven't finished a complete game yet), but the pdf mentions that there are options when it is my move :

But the only option I seem to have is entering a *move*.

I'm interested in knowing how to :
"- Check the board in order to know what piece is where"

Also curiously, the V41 emulator always indicates that it is in PRGM mode (though it does accept "move inputs".

It's been i while since I looked into this one, so I'm very rusty... I assume by "the pdf" you're referring to the "CH136 User Guide", written by Claude Roeltgen - the author of the original CH136 program.

I believe the options are to the game level (1,2,3, or 4 in order of difficulty) and the color of your pieces (black or white). Both are prompted for if you start the game using the "CHESS" main program. Or you can change them *before* starting the game using the dedicated subroutines, "COLOR" and "LEVEL".

The Chess ROM has a modified version with some slight changes in the way the moves are entered. I added a new MCODE function for the prompt, which is meant to be entered in board from-to coordinates such as "E2-E4" (no hyphen needed).

While the prompt is up you cannot change the level options though, only characters are allowed, without access to the CF/SF functions for the settings.

Unfortunately there's no "piece map/location" routine, so the game relies on your taking good note of the actual piece movements - basically you need to have a real chess game aside and mode the pieces along.

I guess there should be possible to write a routine to read the data registers and show the board, basically the inverse of the "BOARD" program which is used to enter a custom board configuration for problem-solving cases. This one uses a sequential list of position prompts, from A1 to H8, asking for the piece to enter in it... then asks for other game parameters such as how many moves have elapsed, whether or not castle has happened, and who's turn is next.

Sounds like a doable challenge, I'll look at the code for clues and see if I can jive something up.

HTH.

ÁM

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP41: Updated RUBIK's / CHESS modules - Ángel Martin - 12-25-2017 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)