Prime Power Switching Adapter
09-21-2015, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 12:12 PM by matthiaspaul.)
RE: Prime Power Switching Adapter
(09-21-2015 01:42 AM)Skyblues Wrote:  I just searched amazon.com and found one that has an output of 5.3V, 2A. Would this work?
Strangely enough the link doesn't work for me, but 5.3V is outside the USB specification.
Quote:I thought I read somewhere that you could use a higher amperage because the device would only use what it needs. Is this true?
Of course. (Just to be sure, please note that this applies to currents ("amperage") only, not to voltages!)

The source (power supply) will have to cope with the maximum current the sink (device) will draw. So, based on your label of the existing adapter, anything larger or equal to 1A is fine, according to Tim's comment even anything larger or equal to 0.5A should be fine as well (but Tim's comment is unfortunately too vague to derive hard facts from it - I hope he'll find the time to clarify).

However, the USB BCS spec allows devices to draw up to 1.5A and unless you find an adapter with 1A for cheap/free, it is wise to go for an adapter which can provide 1.5A (or more) so that your investment will not only work with the Prime (and other devices needing only 1A or less), but with any devices covered by the spec, so that (in the foreseeable future) you will no longer have to care about if it will work or not.
Quote:I'm also not sure about the extra 0.3V with this charger, though.
The USB spec allows up to 5.25V, so strictly speaking 5.3V is too much. While it is unlikely to break anything, 0.3V is already quite a difference in microelectronics. The fact that it is not 5.0V indicates an unregulated adapter (that is: outdated and inefficient technology).
Quote:I couldn't find anything that has exactly 5V, 1.5A.
2A (or more) will work as well, of course.

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Prime Power Switching Adapter - Skyblues - 09-20-2015, 03:52 AM
RE: Prime Power Switching Adapter - matthiaspaul - 09-21-2015 12:09 PM
RE: Prime Power Switching Adapter - retoa - 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: