did anyone ever program in RPG?
01-02-2018, 05:16 PM
RE: did anyone ever program in RPG?
(01-02-2018 03:53 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  As I recall, when talking about RAM, kilo, mega, etc. always stood for powers of 1024, because that's natural for RAM since RAM chips always (?) contain power-of-two number of bytes.

Time is relative Smile So is always! I have some computer magazines from the 80s. The advertisings ususually do what I pretended in my earlier post. October 1986: A IBM-compatible has 256K whereas a harddisk is advertised to have 20MB (3298 DM). There was a lot of discussion then. The "K" without the "B" was selected for the binary because it could be distinguished from the SI prefix "k".
That didn't work any longer with "M". But that wasn't a problem then because values higher than 1024K weren't talked of. And the mainframes didn't use that terminology at all in those times. They talked about "Words" - "Double Words" etc. Think of "640K ought to be enough for everybody"* Wink

Günter

*I must add, that this sentence was correct with respect to the maximum of addresses available for the 8086 or 8088 architecture that time, to leave enough addresses for peripherals.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: did anyone ever program in RPG? - Guenter Schink - 01-02-2018 05:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)