SATURN BASIC for HP-48G/G+/GX, HP-49G and HP-49G+/50G
05-04-2015, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2022 11:36 AM by HrastProgrammer.)
RE: HRAST-BASIC for HP-48G/G+/GX, HP-49G and HP-49G+/50G
Thanks!

It has it's own environment and doesn't interact with RPL in any way, it's completely independent system (which I will probably rewrite for some other architectures in the future, like x86 or ARM). I wanted it to be as fast as possible and RPL doesn't really fit into this. The only ROM-thing I currently use are low-level math routines to save space (although I plan to use high-level matrix routines for matrix operations in future 48K version).

BASIC vs. RPL? Well, it's on you to decide Smile I never push my software over anything else and never try to convince anyone that my software is better than something else. I just develop something (usually for myself and because I enjoy it) and make it available so anyone can make some use out of it and decide if it works for him or not. What works for me surely won't work for everyone, that's a fact of life.

I never really gelled with RPL and I always wanted something more convenient and classic-like for everyday work but never really haven't enough time to do it until now. Furthermore, I never liked that slow RPL editor etc. But I liked the interactive interpreter nature of the RPL system because edit-compile cycle doesn't really work for me as far as calculators are concerned. So, I decided to take all features I like and make my own interpreter.

Another advantage is speed because it is generally much faster than UserRPL. Look at that 8-queens benchmark ... 16.6 seconds vs. 54 seconds on HP-49G or 7.2 seconds vs. 22 seconds on HP-49G+/50G speaks for itself.

And it is much more convenient for me to write:

(2*6+11+^(6+8*(100/50+3)-7-35)/2+100+(2+4*^3-18)/4+(100*10-^8)-44/11)/12

... instead of something like that (SysRPL example):

% 2 % 6 %* % 11 %+ % 100 % 50 %/ % 3 %+ % 8 %* % 6 %+ % 7 %- % 35 %- DUP %* % 2 %/ %+
% 100 %+
% 3 DUP %* % 4 %* % 2 %+ % 18 %- % 4 %/ %+
% 100 % 10 %* % 8 DUP %* %- % 44 % 11 %/ %- %+
% 12 %/ DROP

(BTW, I know I can use algebraic expressions in most cases but it just doesn't seem native to use them with RPL)

And HRAST-BASIC programs consume less memory than RPL because internal tokens are 1 byte instead of 2.5 bytes words.

But, again, it's just on you to decide Wink

https://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwood/
https://hrastprogrammer.bandcamp.com/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HRAST-BASIC for HP-48G/G+/GX, HP-49G and HP-49G+/50G - HrastProgrammer - 05-04-2015 06:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)