[41] A fix for the broken posts problem
05-03-2015, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2015 05:35 PM by emece67.)
[41] A fix for the broken posts problem
This is how I've fixed (I hope) the broken posts of a 1981 C. This is the state of the posts prior to the repair. As seen they were severely damaged, if fact cut in half and even split in several pieces:

[Image: broken.jpg?dl=1]

The parts I've used are:

[Image: parts.jpg?dl=1]

They are:
  • M2.5x20 slotted cheese head screws
  • M2.5 nyloc nuts (self braking nuts)
  • M2.5 flat washers
  • M4 tension pins

In retrospect I think now that these measures are larger than the ideal ones, perhaps M2 screws/nuts/washers and M3 pins would do better. I've used M2.5 because I do not have at hand long enough M2 screws. But the next time I'll use the smaller ones.

For those people across the ocean, M2.5x20 means 2 mm thread diameter and 20 mm overall length, I think that an equivalent is #3x3/4 or #3x7/8. M2 would be #2.

Next time I'll also look for Philips pan head screws.

As tools I've used:

[Image: tools.jpg?dl=1]

that's a Dremel with a cylindrical drilling bit and cutting discs (that I also used to grind). You'll also need epoxy glue and a not so strong glue capable to bind metal (I've used GS Hypo).

The first step consists in drilling the remaining posts. Do not get very deep, around 5 mm (3/16'') is enough. The idea is to insert the nuts into those holes.

[Image: drilling.jpg?dl=1]

I've used adhesive tape to protect the vias of the keys in the PCB from dust. Perhaps a bad idea (see here), next time I'll use another material as a protective barrier.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[41] A fix for the broken posts problem - emece67 - 05-03-2015 05:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)