[WP 34S] I finally bricked it :-(
02-02-2015, 08:23 PM
RE: [WP 34S] I finally bricked it :-(
(02-02-2015 07:57 PM)walter b Wrote:  John, the manual's your friend once again. Please see App. A, "Updating Your WP 34S", concurring with Marcus' statement.

(02-02-2015 06:54 PM)John Galt Wrote:  Did I contribute to this calculator's demise by erasing it too many times?

I doubt it. Even you would not have been able to flash it 10 000 times. Wink

d:-)

I doubt it too. But, we are now touching on 'why' I am providing contact bounce conditioning in my flash box (its not for the lights, its for the CMOS).

What I suspect you are running into is NOT bricking, in that sense of the word, but a catastrophic hardware failure caused 'usually' by ESD (electrostatic discharge). It is possible during plug-in of the flash clip, or during 'reset' or 'erase' switch press to stress the CMOS inputs of the calculator effectively 'blasting' the hardware with a 'lightening' strike from which it will never recover. Discharging oneself before flashing is a good idea, as well, having a 'static free' exchange (which can be minimized with the control circuits of the 'flash-box' but which (alas) cannot be eliminated at all times. This is also one reason why I'm nervous about flashing my unit. I realize that each and every time may be its last. On the other hand, many people have flashed their units repeatedly (dozens of times, reportedly) without incident. In fact you may have the dubious honor and distinction to be the ONLY person to ever brick their unit. I read in another thread that said emphatically, " not even one person has bricked their 30b! " Apparently, we have ONE. :-}

ESD has killed yet another CMOS circuit/

marcus

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [WP 34S] I finally bricked it :-( - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-02-2015 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)