Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges!
10-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges!
Hi everyone!

I just got off the phone with Athana. Most of you probably know of them, but if you don't, they're a company in California that offers magnetic media. See Athana, Inc.

One medium they offer is called the 40-100A, a new DC-100 type data cartridge for the HP-85. However, at just over $50 a cartridge, these aren't all that cheap, and you have to buy at least two.

I was talking with them about ordering two new ones, and when I mentioned that all mine had broken drive belts, they offered me $5 a piece for them, just for the parts.

If they were going to refurbish (rebelt and retape) them and resell them, why couldn't they just refurbish mine and send them back to me?

They said they could! And for only $25 per cartridge! Yippee!! I would say this is a pretty significant cost savings (about 75%) versus buying two new cartridges.

So, I sent 5 of my tired, worn out cartridges off to them this morning, and I can't wait to see what comes back!

This refurbishment service is not listed as an option on their website. I'm not sure if they really care to advertise it, so you didn't hear this from me! You also didn't hear from me that if your cartridges only need new belts, that will cost $15 per cartridge.

Also, if you're going to send something to them, don't send it to the address listed on their website. They just moved to a new building and it will take awhile for the mail to be forwarded there. Ask them for the new address when you talk to them.

-Dan

P.S. I have used some of Athana's 5.25 diskettes (47-7501) with my HP 82901M disc drive and they work just fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Bring new life to your HP-98200 Data Cartridges! - DanLewis - 10-29-2014 05:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)