Building WP 34S / 31S with Docker
03-24-2024, 10:47 AM
Building WP 34S / 31S with Docker
Although it is said that "the WP 34S project is effectively shut down at this point", an open source project can always be revived. With old code often comes the problem of an ancient toolchain that won't run on modern systems anymore. Over the years I started to create Docker images for various projects that contain all tools to build the software (ideally reproducible, but I'm happy when it compiles at all). Well, here is the …

So far it is just the Dockerfile that allows you to build the Docker image yourself (I haven't checked all licenses to see if redistribution of all software is allowed, but I assume it is). As usual for most Docker images, it is based on a Linux environment (Ubuntu 22.04) and includes Wine and the Yagarto 4.6.0 compiler as described in the "Compiling WP 34S / 31S on Linux" documentation. I skipped the CodeSourcery part because compilation was quick enough on my system.

How does it work? You start the container and mount your local source tree. I prefer to keep local and container files isolated, so I mounted it read-only and copied the files into a new working directory.

Code:
host> docker run -it --rm --name wp34s-builder -v /path/to/source:/wp-src:ro wp34s-builder
container> cp -a /wp-src wp
container> cd wp/trunk
container> make REALBUILD=1

After a few seconds you can find the firmware images in the realbuild subdirectory. You can copy it from the container to your host system by running:

Code:
host> docker cp wp34s-builder:/wp/trunk/realbuild/calc.bin .

I haven't spent much time improving and automating the build process (it could be much easier). Right now it doesn't parse the revision number because I haven't included SVN or Git (and haven't checked if svnversion works after copying the directory).

I guess right now there's nobody actually working with the source anymore. With this simplified build process there might be a chance that more people start modifying and extending WP 34S.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Building WP 34S / 31S with Docker - SammysHP - 03-24-2024 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)