HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations
01-14-2024, 01:29 PM
HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I know the HP50G is not very popular here but these days it still might be the only place frequented by people using the HP50G.

Just recently I got back to my HP50G after I tried for quite some time to make the HP Prime my workhorse for quick calculations. I ported my extensive collection of equations from the HP50G to the HP Prime and used it with SolveSys from Han Dong (HPSolo). While SolveSys is a great program and makes working with equations on the Prime a lot easier I realized that I still prefer the HP50G over the Prime. But going back to the HP50G I have to say not everything is perfect (for me) on the HP50G either.

My equations on the HP50G are stored in different directories (by topics) and I use them either directly with the built in numerical solver or if I need multiple equations with SolveSys (The one by Sune Bredahl). But sometimes I have to check my notes to figure out what a certain variable is for and sometimes I delete equations by accident or (worse) change them without noticing. Usually no big deal as I have the equations stored in the flash rom anyway. Still I would prefer to have my equations either stored or at least managed by a lib so I can also add some info regarding the variables.

I'm aware that some good equation managers are already out there and so I tried quite a few of them (most of the ones listed on hpcalc.org). Some do more or less what I'm looking for. EQL+ (by Arnaud Amiel & Wolfgang Rautenberg) is almost what I'm looking for but I don't have use for the (big) equation library included. There is also EQLu a stripped down version of EQL+ (which would be perfect) but it seems to be missing some lib as it only works properly if EQL+ is installed along as well.

What are my best options in order to achieve the following work flow:
-Store my equations in a nested list along with infos regarding the variables used (I don't plan to create grobs, text will do) for use in an equation manager like EQL+ (or EQLu)
-Browse the equations (topics and at least subtopics) fast similar to the one provided by HP or EQL+
-Put the equations on the stack either to solve them later with SolveSys or with the numerical solver. I don't care too much about MES-functionality but if that feature should be included in the equation manager I would prefer it to work.

I considered splitting EQL+ with OT49+ and rebuilding it without the equation library so that it only contains the equations added by me (UsrBox) but I doubt I'm able to decompile and change any code should that be a necessity. And besides it might be considered rude to alter someone else's code.

I would like some recommendations or comments on how to achieve what I'm looking for. I'm aware that there is at least one equation manager commercially available and I didn't try that one yet.

Thanks for your advice, recommendations or comments on the matter.

Regards
Roman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations - roem76 - 01-14-2024 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)