RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
03-07-2024, 01:06 AM
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
(03-03-2024 10:21 PM)bxparks Wrote:  Retired software engineer, who used to be a physicist.

I think this means we can be friends. :-D
Software engineer for the past 36 years.
Before that, I was a nuclear operator aboard a fast attack sub.
I am -- perhaps weirdly -- intensely envious of the skills held by professional physicists and mathematicians.

(03-03-2024 10:21 PM)bxparks Wrote:  
(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  I'm really looking for a project that I can gain traction on quickly
Are you looking for a *calculator* project, or a general programming project? Calculator programming seems to have a LOT of friction.

Good question! I've already got one calculator project in limbo. I took a combined professional/avocational interest in interval arithmetic due to the fact that I've never really been satisfied with the methods I was taught for handling computational uncertainty. I've implemented a suite for the HP-48g/gx, but unfortunately it's right in that evil "sweet spot" where it does mostly what I want it to, so it's usable, but there's plenty that's still not quite correct, plus it needs some documentation, so I'd be ashamed to release it publicly as an example of my work.

What I need is a project -- PC or calculator -- that so captures my imagination it enables me to obsess over it for a while. It's great for motivating one to carve out free minutes here and there whenever one can!

(03-03-2024 10:21 PM)bxparks Wrote:  The manufacturers don't want to support it [3rd party development], or are actively hostile against it. They consider calculators to be educational devices, instead of professional devices, so the anti-cheat requirements of school boards seem to be far more important than supporting a 3rd party development ecosystem.

Unfortunately, you seem to be correct -- with deadly accuracy -- in this regard. Honestly, from a purely business perspective, to the manufacturers they are educational devices, not professional. By concentrating on the desires/needs of educators, testing organizations, and parents, they're plugged into an ecosystem that guarantees a certain volume of sales... if they don't screw it up. However, only a certain fraction of those math students will move on to STEM careers. And only a fraction of those who do will seek a portable, professional computational platform. Most will go with PC-based or web-based tools like Wolfram Alpha. That means supporting a development ecosystem is likely more expensive than it is worth. Only a company run "by engineers, for engineers" (like the old HP) understands how goodwill percolates throughout a professional userbase.

(03-03-2024 10:21 PM)bxparks Wrote:  
(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  Actually, that pretty much answers exactly what I'm asking. It tells me (a) if I snag a Ti-89 titanium for my desired price range, I'll be happy I got it, and will enjoy playing with it and comparing results with my beloved HP's, (b) if I don't snag one I won't be heartbroken, and (c) regardless of the a/b outcome, I probably should grab me an 84+ and try out your application!

I recommend the 83+ Silver Edition as your best bang for the money. It's basically identical to the 84+SE (same CPU, same clock speed, same flash and RAM capacity, same features), and can be picked up for very cheap on the used market.

I bought one [Ti-89 titanium] on eBay. The screen is terrible. The font is too small, contrast is terrible, the screen surface is shiny instead of matte, so you are constantly angling it away from a light source.

LOL, I am about to find out! The good/bad news is, I made a mistake on my sniping engine, so I've won TWO of them. Fortunately, both cost me less than $30. I think I will keep one, sell the other, and grab the 83+SE to run your library. Unless I really hate the 89, in which case I sell both.

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S - johnb - 03-07-2024 01:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)