Setting a maximum demoninator for fractions
10-03-2023, 03:50 AM
RE: Setting a maximum demoninator for fractions
(10-02-2023 03:53 PM)GSL007 Wrote:  Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but I'm totally new to this type of calculator. I purchased an HP35S last year, which I love. With this calculator I can set the maximum denominator for a fraction to be what I wish, 8, 12, 16, whatever up to 4095.

I can't figure out how to set the maximum denominator for fractions in the HP Prime G2. The manual didn't help. Can anyone help or do I misunderstand something?

Thanks, Gary L

The [a b/c] key in Home view mode doesn't set maximum denominators like the 32SII, 33s, & 35s do. Instead, it uses the current display setting (e.g. FIX 2 or FIX 4 or whatever) to control the accuracy of the fraction approximation. Example: Pi is displayed as 22/7 in FIX 2 mode, but as 201/64 in FIX 3 mode. You can specify the accuracy you want by changing the display mode, but you cannot specify the maximum desired denominator.

The exact(x) function in CAS mode works differently. Instead of using the display mode to control its accuracy, it uses the Epsilon setting in CAS Settings (page 2). For example, if Epsilon = 1E-6, then exact(pi+0.) returns 355/113. Again, you can specify the desired accuracy this way, but not the maximum denominator.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Setting a maximum demoninator for fractions - Joe Horn - 10-03-2023 03:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)