HHC presentation teaser
10-11-2023, 03:00 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser
(10-10-2023 04:19 AM)Brad Barton Wrote:  This project was AWESOME.

Thanks for the kind words! Note that the the Nixie calculator hardware and packaging is the amazing work of John Doran, though I had some input to it. My responsibilities were the firmware (based on my Nonpareil), helping with hardware debugging, and making the key legend labels and product labels. John built two units, and generously gave me one.

Quote:I'm imagining a 34c brain (because, you know, all those shift keys) driving the whole thing,

The 32E was chosen by John Doran when he started his project in 2008. Aside from needing a slide switch for some other models (e.g. DEG/RAD, BEGIN/END, or PROG/RUN), and a minor amount of additional firmware hacking, any of the Woodstock and Spice models can be simulated. Of those, the 34C is my top interest, followed by the 29C.

We could also make keyboards with more keys and different layouts, to simulate other models. Since Nixie tubes can't display non-numeric digits (other than the +/- tubes we're using for signs), various non-numeric displays such as errors and program step displays have to be altered somewhat.

The 41C family is, alas, a non-starter with numeric Nixie tubes. Segmented Nixie tubes exist, but are almost unobtanium now.

Quote:and maybe a bluetooth connection.

The current version uses a WCH eval board for their CH32V307 RISC-V microcontroller, chosen because I had some boards on hand, I like RISC-V, and the board costs less that $10. It doesn't have any wireless capability.. Adding wireless could be done by adding a module, or by replacing the board with one that has wireless, such as an ESP32 board or a Raspberry Pi Pico W.

Quote:A gentlemen's version of a well-sharpened tool.

An elegant calculator, for a more civilized age.
:-)

Quote:Eric do you have any pictures to share?

We'll try to get a web page put together soon, complete with photos. I'll announce it in the "... but related" forum.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HHC presentation teaser - brouhaha - 09-30-2023, 10:09 PM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - Namir - 10-01-2023, 01:14 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - Jeff_Birt - 10-01-2023, 08:02 PM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - rprosperi - 10-02-2023, 01:41 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - brouhaha - 10-02-2023, 05:21 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - brouhaha - 10-05-2023, 03:55 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - Brad Barton - 10-10-2023, 04:19 AM
RE: HHC presentation teaser - brouhaha - 10-11-2023 03:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)