"The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth)
08-01-2023, 02:23 AM
RE: "The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth)
(07-31-2023 11:37 PM)HP67 Wrote:  
(07-31-2023 03:54 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by that? Which "new EU tax rules"? When importing from non-EU countries one has to pay import sales tax. Since always - or at least as long as I can remember. There are no additional taxes or duties for calculators, just checked that in the relevant EU document. Theoretically, if one wants to go through the hassle, the Swiss VAT can be reimbursed when exporting from there. Employing a professional dealer within the EU will make no difference when it comes to paying VAT.

Regards
Max

Hello! Well, I really don't want to go over this since it's been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum. But...

The EU rules changed about 2 years ago, I don't remember all the details. One thing is that there is no longer a minimum below which Customs exempts anything. And as I said, enforcement is very aggressive here unlike what I hear from some of our neighboring countries.

Paying VAT is not the problem for us. The problems include having to deal with customs clearance, having to submit proof of a transaction that matches the invoice sent in the box, having to pay duties and fees above (I think) 135 euros total (product plus shipping).

There may not be EU duties for this or that item, but the agents here take the liberty of categorizing the goods you bought however they feel that day. Once you sign power of attorney to clear your goods, you have to pay whatever ransom they decide. There is no appeal process, no online system to determine the status of goods before purchase, etc.

It's not just about the EU rules, but also the misc. and sundry ransoms, fees-du-jour and also the recent ongoing failure of the state-run postal system. Even if something would arrive in-country, and even if we went through the process of filling out the forms online, submitting all the proofs etc. there is not much chance the Post would deliver the package. They are closing 300 branches and firing more than 1000 people, so it has gone from bad to worse.

Sounds horrible... out of curiosity, which country is "here"?

Highway robbery is bad enough, but incompetent highway robbery is sooo much worse...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Forth Deck" portable computer (smell of HP71B Forth) - rprosperi - 08-01-2023 02:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)