Coating on Voyager bezels?
03-30-2023, 03:15 AM
RE: Coating on Voyager bezels?
(03-30-2023 01:56 AM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Maybe if you're not familiar with painting/finishing, but you ALWAYS strip off the old coat before applying the new coat.
Of course that's the right way to do it! But I've found a few good-enough hacks on various vintage items over the years where a total strip-and-redo wasn't required. Seemed worth a try here. But for this particular unit the bezel clear coat was clearly weak already. No surprise for a 40+ year old calculator. I wasn't expecting too much going in.

Quote:Or you could take the bare aluminum to a specialty shop and get it anodized to your favorite color!
Now that is tempting. But our primary school color is kelly green and I don't think that green would mesh well with HP's 80's-era keyboard tones. But I do have a white TI-84CE (white is our other color) and I've been meaning to 3D-print a green slide case for it for years. When I was our department chair and in regular contact with a TI rep, I politely complained that green was underrepresented in their TI-84CE flavor offerings. "Mint" just wasn't going to cut it for us. Smile He seemed sympathetic but sadly the message never got through to the TI corporate overlords.

But a green-and-white Voyager would just be insanely, over-the-top geeky for sure even if I'd be the only person in the school to appreciate it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Coating on Voyager bezels? - tppytel - 03-29-2023, 12:51 AM
RE: Coating on Voyager bezels? - tppytel - 03-29-2023, 10:16 PM
RE: Coating on Voyager bezels? - tppytel - 03-30-2023, 01:32 AM
RE: Coating on Voyager bezels? - tppytel - 03-29-2023, 10:58 PM
RE: Coating on Voyager bezels? - tppytel - 03-30-2023 03:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)