Challenges for the mathematically challenged?
12-17-2022, 06:43 PM
Challenges for the mathematically challenged?
My fondness for HP calculators started in the mid-80's when I was allowed to use my father's HP15C after my TI30 had developed a key bounce that made it unusable. I used it throughout senior high school and made good use of the solver that allowed me to double-check on my symbolic algebra solutions as well as the complex number functions. My teachers were probably unaware of the HP15C's capabilities and rules on allowed calculators were yet to be written.

I have to admit, however, that I never progressed much beyond high school mathematically as the only math I needed for university was statistics and whatever programming I did was on home computers and DOS PCs.

Years later I still don't have much need for calculating anything more complicated than percentages or an occasional sine or cosine but this didn't stop me from buying a HP15C (I lost mine when I forgot it at work) as well as some of the other HP calculators I had found interesting as a teenager.

While their quality hardware quality is nice to behold I would really like to use them rather than just dusting them off or sorting them and beyond basic maths.

I have had a look at Valentin Albillo's challenges but found that at least those I looked at require a level of mathematical understanding that far exceeds what I learned in high school (minus what I forgot since) and I drop out when a solution requires a Taylor series or some other mathematical wizardry.

I would appreciate any ideas / links where to find simpler programming challenges that can be solved with a RPN calculator and high school maths or that lead onward from there in an instructional way.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Challenges for the mathematically challenged? - Siegfried - 12-17-2022 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)