[HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection
12-22-2022, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2022 06:46 PM by artag.)
RE: [HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection
I'm going to back off a little bit and admit to being needlessly pessimistic. I haven't got a system up and running yet but I have tried :

ilper for windows

I ran this under Wine. Always a recipe for unknown yak-shaving ! In fact, after a brief stop to go looking for mfc80.dll it startup fine. I don't have a PIL-Box yet so I couldn't test it in operation but at least it displayed an interface. I'm more comfortable about running on an x86 machine under Wine than emulating the x86 on an Arm so that's encouraging. And the sources are available so adapting it to run natively under Linux (or maybe using winelib) is a possibilty.

pyilper

I got the impression from the above conversation that pyilper had been developed for python on windows and 'should' run on linux. I did use to find that python was OK with reasonable portability via pyserial : it's only more recently that my every attempt to run python applications ended in frustration. And pyilper required me to install yet another python installer, anaconda. I could see this going down a deep hole.

But firstly, more investigation of anaconda seemed to show an open source base, and pyliper only required a minimal version, miniconda. Better still, there is a debian installation package which I tried and didn't seem to require anaconda either - a .dpkg is usually much easier to use than a 3rd-part installer. Again, I got as far as the application giving me a gui and wanting to find a PIL-Box.

So overall, an encouraging start. Good to find some options that are reasonably mature and written without too may assumptions. Now, I need to get the PIL-Box built so i can go further.

This was on my desktop x86 Linux machine. Maybe trying to do it on Arm, while a really nice 'boxed' solution is more hassle especially if I try to use native code rather than emulation. Floppy's approach has the advantage that a disk appliance could be built using off-the-shelf parts and perhaps will inspire a native re-implementation - but in the meantime offers a way to do that . Credit to him for getting it so far.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection - artag - 12-22-2022 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)