RPN calcs should be a teacher’s recommendation
11-09-2022, 08:42 PM
RE: RPN calcs should be a teacher’s recommendation
Hello!

(11-09-2022 08:14 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  At 56, I can say I fall for into your generation.

I'll be 60 in a few days time (hard to believe, I still feel the same as with 26 apart from the reading glasses ;-) ) so probably yes. The first ones among our classmates who chose to become mathematics and physics teachers are about to retire soon. As we had no RPN calculators during our own time at school, simply because here in Europe they cost three times as much as every other calculator and no parent would buy their children one, they probaly taught mathematics with no reference to RPN throughout their career.

Matt Agajanian Wrote:I thought there would be a way this new generation could use calculators as a secondary or tertiary tool since they need to put their brain in gear first.

The new generation does not use calculators at all. My son, who finished school five years ago, was part of an experimental group that got issued CAS calculators, a Ti Nspire in his case, very early - around the age of 11 or 12. The idea was to rid them of the burden of calculating themselves right away and free their minds to more useful tasks. The day he finished school was probably the last time he used a physical calculator. If he ever has to calculate anything again he will either use his smartphone or delegate the task to his tax adviser... And his Ti Nspire is now part of my collection of calculators :-)

Regards
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN calcs should be a teacher’s recommendation - Maximilian Hohmann - 11-09-2022 08:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)