[PeterP] Solving Project Euler #18 and #67 with the HP-71B
10-29-2022, 11:40 PM
RE: [PeterP] Solving Project Euler #18 and #67 with the HP-71B
Hi, PeterP,

(10-29-2022 11:27 AM)PeterP Wrote:  Wonderful! Thank you so much for the article which I will enjoy reading and learning from on this intercontinental flight. I made it through the first few PEs with the hp41 (and almost through 808, one of the more recent ones).

Don't feel bad about not being able to solve PE#808 with the 10-digit HP-41, the answer requires more digits, which reminds me of what I say in page 11 of my article in "The Rant" section; quoting:
    Far too many problems require using more than 12 digits to solve them, so they can’t be solved using the HP-71B or any other 12-digit handheld computer or calculator even if using the best algorithms which otherwise could solve them quickly and efficiently [...]

Of course I can understand that PE problems are aimed at being solved with fast modern PC/laptops (not ancient calculators, even if emulated) using high-level compiled languages (not interpreted BASIC), but that said I also feel that fulfilling PE goals ("...for the inquiring mind to delve into unfamiliar areas and learn new concepts in a fun and recreational context") can be achieved without resorting to artificially high limits and multiprecision results, as there’s an infinite number of interesting problems fulfilling the stated goal without needlessly forcing such limiting constraints [...]

I hope you enjoy my article and hopefully find it useful. Have a good trip back and best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PeterP] Solving Project Euler #18 and #67 with the HP-71B - Valentin Albillo - 10-29-2022 11:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)