Four LIF text conversion questions
08-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Four LIF text conversion questions
Four separate questions seeking separate answers, in one thread because they are similar.

(Q1) Ordinary text files on LIF systems are hex type 0001, and are referred to as LIF1 files. Converting them to MS-DOS text is easy, e.g. with the HPDir program. But the HP-75 has its own text files of hex type E052. I can't figure out any way with just an HP-71 (no 75), PIL-Box, and 9114 disk drive, to convert those HP-75 text files to MS-DOS text files. Is it possible?

(Q2) Many LIF1 files on the Swap Disks have embedded "Text Editor" commands, such as ^CE (for Center Mode), ^MA (for setting the left and right margins), etc. Has anybody written any kind of program for converting these formatting commands into modern notation of any kind, like PostScript or TeX or whatever, so that these files could be presented for example as RTF's or PDF's with all the authors' formatting intact?

(Q3) There are many LIF1 files on the Swap Disks which contain only graphic data (100% escape codes and bitmap data), no text. These were intended to be sent directly to the ThinkJet printer, which interpreted the escape codes correctly and output the desired image. Has anybody written a program of any kind that converts these files into modern image files, e.g. PNG or BMP or whatever? I've tried a few PCL-to-PNG converters without any success.

(Q4) Similar to the previous two items, many LIF1 files on the Swap Disks contain ThinkJet-specific printer codes, such as CHR$(14) to turn on Bold Mode and CHR$(15) to turn it off again. These are neither Text Editor commands, nor standard PCL codes. Has anybody written any kind of program for converting these files to modern marked-up text?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I'm converting all of the LIF1 files I can find into web-presentable form, and doing these conversions by hand is tedious.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Four LIF text conversion questions - Joe Horn - 08-01-2014 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)