[VA] HP-71B Mini-challenge: Qualifying for a job II: Your best image
10-06-2022, 02:17 PM
RE: [VA] HP-71B Mini-challenge: Qualifying for a job II: Your best image
Hi, ThomasF,

(10-06-2022 05:45 AM)ThomasF Wrote:  Thanks Valentin for your inspiring problems (and detailed solutions) - and all others that share information and inspires!

Thanks to you for your appreciation. I now I always say the same but there are only so many ways to express my thanks and I always mean it.

Quote:[...] I was totally lost on this second assignment (looking for a trick using IMAGE instead of user defined functions ... Wink) but I never managed to cram it in to one line ...

Hehe, that was pretty much my intent, that's why I put words like "image" and "using" in my OP in a subliminal way, to make people think about considering USING and IMAGE statements from the get-go.

I don't think there's a solution using IMAGEs. One might try something like this and attempt to fine-tune it:
    2 DISP USING "MD.3D,MZ.D,MZ.4D,MZ.D,MZ.6D";X,SIN(X),COS(X),TAN(X),LN(X)+EXP(X)
but it doesn't reproduce the results in my OP and gives WRN L2:IMAGE Ovf with large values at runtime. The IMAGE statement can't be used, of course, as it would require an additional line and more bytes.

Quote:As a programmer I always have liked these kinds of problems - and the gained knowledge helps me in all kinds of other assignments. The better one knows the landscape - the more you can gain from the map! It has nothing to do with writing obfuscated code, rather writing solid code, avoiding pitfalls and using the available resources in the best way!

I fully concur, couldn't say it better myself.

Quote:Looking forward to similar assignments and challenges!

Well, yesterday I just posted SRC #012a - Then and Now: Probability , the first of a number of non-trivial modern problems to be solved using exclusively vintage HP calcs, not the intended laptops.

Most of them require solid programming abilities, and I'll supply nice HP-71B solutions for all of them. You might want to develop and post your own as well, it'll be great fun !

Thanks again and regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] HP-71B Mini-challenge: Qualifying for a job II: Your best image - Valentin Albillo - 10-06-2022 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)