ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER:
07-08-2014, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 06:47 AM by walter b.)
RE: ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER:
(07-07-2014 09:59 PM)hansklav Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 07:20 PM)walter b Wrote:  How do you know?

Because this is what you wrote in your reply:

(07-07-2014 07:20 PM)walter b Wrote:  (…) ENTER↑ describes what the operation does - it enters a number in the stack. Even the arrow points in the right direction (…)

And you did not mention the other function (digit entry termination).

I didn't mention the obvious. Sorry. I'll be more precise next time I've to explain ENTER↑ on this forum.

(07-07-2014 09:59 PM)hansklav Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 07:20 PM)walter b Wrote:  If you'd take a look to the WP 34S manual instead of telling me what you guess what I see then you'd see how I explain ENTER in the start section ("elementary stack mechanics").

My apologies.

Accepted. Now back to topic:
I agree on that algorithmic picture being a simplified model. But isn't a novice a 'simplified user' as well? And about getting stuck: you're right for a 4-level stack; an 8-level stack as implemented in the 34S and 31S cures this problem for all real world cases.

So I'll repeat: classic RPN with ENTER↑ is a logically consistent operationg method. Certainly it's not perfect (nothing's as perfect as a wheel Wink ) but comes pretty close to it. I concur that there's a problem with what you call the 'RPN Entry' method of some later calcs but that's a different story.

d:-)

Edited to correct a typo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ENTER↑ is a misnomer, long live ENTER: - walter b - 07-08-2014 04:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)