Making new HP-65/TI 59 magnetic cards out of VHS tape
11-04-2021, 05:41 PM
RE: Making new HP-65/TI 59 magnetic cards out of VHS tape
(11-04-2021 04:36 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  I would fasten the tape with double-sided adhesive tape.

Yes. Indeed double sided tape can be very useful here since it's uniform. I just made 2 "new" cards using glue stick. Turns out that, even after 2 hours of drying, it leaves a bit of a rough surface on the magnetic side. That could be dangerous for the recording head since it might tear down the tape. I would need something like art adhesive spray to make an uniform /and thin) layer of glue, since the thin magnetic VHS tape can reflect inperfections.

(11-04-2021 04:36 AM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  Regardless, I expect you'd probably foresee and avoid any dangers of doing damage, and you won't run out of tape or material in your experiments. Big Grin

Of course I'll do extensive testing in order to see the performance of the magnetic side; this of course not with the original card mechanism, maybe with some of the dead cassette recorder heads I have around. At the slightest detail here, I will stop the experiment to avoid damaging the mechanism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making new HP-65/TI 59 magnetic cards out of VHS tape - voltaage - 11-04-2021 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)