I will not post any emulator related postings any more
09-22-2021, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2021 09:27 AM by J-F Garnier.)
RE: I will not post any emulator related postings any more
[various reactions]
Yes, there is nothing bad to be in the the "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" section and it shouldn't be a big deal .. but why this specific post, when I see so many pure math/algorithm discussions in the general forum using "not remotely HP calculators" language and not a single line of HP calculator code ever? I don't bother, so why bother for this particular post?

Christoph's emulators are around for at least two decades (yes, decades) and are really part of the HP calculator world.
They aren't "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" things like some emulators/simulators that have only loose connections with the original (my emu72 emulator for instance, were you thinking of something else :-) .
They are exact equivalent (as exact as they can be) of the physical machines, and many of us use these emulators to check a particular calculator feature, it's faster than getting the machine from the collection, installing batteries, etc.
In that sense, they aren't just "emulators", they are tools for HP calculator collectors/experts/historians.

[philosophy]
And what is the essence of a HP calculator? Does it depend of the physical aspects? Does a change of key, colour, or housing change the nature of the calculator? No, the essence of a calculator is what its firmware and electronic hardware are. And Christoph's emulators precisely reproduce the electronic hardware and use the exact firmware. In that sense, they are the "true" HP calculators.
[/philosophy]

So let's cool down, it's not a big deal probably yes, but please be tolerant. On the other side I don't blame the moderator(s), it's a ungrateful job and any mistake is badly received.
Christoph, please continue to post your announcements here, for the benefit of the community (I for sure will be aware of your work).

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I will not post any emulator related postings any more - J-F Garnier - 09-22-2021 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)