HP 71b repair advice - won't power on with batteries or on AC adaptor
06-15-2021, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2021 06:22 AM by dmh.)
RE: HP 71b repair advice - won't power on with batteries or on AC adaptor
(06-11-2021 03:35 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 05:47 AM)dmh Wrote:  Ok, I've opened up the worse looking of the 2 units (in case I broke anything) and the photos are below. It came apart quite easily. Even the rubber feet are still intact (but will need double sided tape).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ljsoop5ggt43l...ee7ea?dl=0

Thoughts?

Worth trying to repair by soldering wires?

The Zebra connector doesn't appear to want to move, is this just pulled off away from the board or do I lever each end?

Another cost savings with regard to the plastic-backed 71's is rather than using heavy metal shielding, the inside of the case is sprayed with a silver-colored metallic coating.
In the photos it can be seen that this coating has been attacked by the corrosion and is flaking off.

The PCB's can easily be separated from the case halves after the two wires to the beeper have been desoldered. Remove as much of the flaking metallic coating as possible.

Dave

I can't see how the PCB's can be easily separated. The top looks plastic riveted and the bottom, although it looks like it is just sitting on plastic posts, doesn't want to move at all. Are the Zebra posts part of the lower case and holding the PCB down? As mentioned, Zebra doesn't appear to want to move either.

Any further guidance you can provide?

Thanks

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 71b repair advice - won't power on with batteries or on AC adaptor - dmh - 06-15-2021 06:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)