Programming for 50g on PC.
06-02-2021, 03:30 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC.
The connectivity kit is just that, a connectivity kit, not a programming kit. Why did you expect programming tools?

Part of the 50g's appeal (to me anyway) is that it has pretty good onboard programming tools, so that's what I prefer. Therefore a straightforward solution would be to get a virtual 50g - if I'm writing RPL programs on my PC for whatever reason (let's say, I expect memory corruption from doing unsafe experiments with its system code), then an emulator is my go-to option. You would probably want one for testing / debugging anyway. In my case it's x49gp; if you're stuck on Windows, there's also Emu48.

If a virtual calculator feels too cramped, you can give HPUserEdit (for UserRPL) or Debug4x (for SysRPL and Saturn ASM) a shot. I've never used the former, and haven't touched the latter in many years, but I do remember that Debug4x comes with a copy of Emu48 and makes an effort to integrate with it for easier debugging.

Finally, if you're into ARM ASM or C, you can compile programs with HPGCC or its successor HPGCC3. In that case, you have to use a PC because the arm-none-eabi toolchain will never fit onto the 50g. HPGCC3 is designed to be used with Eclipse Indigo (and due to a lack of maintenance, it won't work on newer versions of Eclipse; Claudio is busy with other stuff), but if you really want to, you can use any off-the-shelf editor that understands Makefile-based C projects. However, testing would have to take place on a real 50g or x49gp, since Emu48 doesn't do ARM emulation.

(Damn, too slow again.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Programming for 50g on PC. - matalog - 06-02-2021, 01:46 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC. - matalog - 06-02-2021, 06:42 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC. - rprosperi - 06-02-2021, 11:59 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC. - rprosperi - 06-03-2021, 01:39 AM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC. - 3298 - 06-02-2021 03:30 PM
RE: Programming for 50g on PC. - matalog - 06-02-2021, 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)