HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting
04-19-2021, 10:35 PM
RE: HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting
(04-19-2021 10:15 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  With today's easy robotic kits, it probably wouldn't be hard to create a Key Pressing Robot (KPRtm).

I envision something like a plotter that moves in the X & Y directions, plus the ability to raise and lower a plunger. Put the calculator in a jig on the KPR and software translates your text listing into key presses based on a configuration file.

Where this really could shine is with calculators that lack I/O. Imagine being able to enter a long program into a 35s or 15C

Heck, it might even be a good project for a high school robotics class.

A few details would make this fairly robust. After placing the calculator into the jig, there might be a calibration step to ensure that the KPR knows exactly where the keys are. Think of the difference between a tall key and short key 41C. The actuator might be two pieces connected by a short spring to avoid over-pressing a key. Ideally, to add a new calculator, you'd just have to write a new config file.

Oooh! This is a good approach. I know it can be done much more cleanly, but the image in my mind is that of this "speech to type" typewriter. It is almost SteamPunk. This is definitely going on my to-do list.

-Pat (KG5YPQ)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting - rocket.scientist - 04-19-2021 10:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)