Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators?
04-04-2021, 03:58 PM
RE: Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators?
(04-04-2021 03:40 PM)Hollerith Wrote:  I have a Casio FX-730p and Tandy PC-6 (clone of Casio FX-790p). The BASIC in these computers is identical. However the PC-6 is a clamshell design having 83 keys compared to the flat FX-730p with 59 keys.

The keyboard in the lower half of the PC-6 has numerics keys and maths functions which, when shifted, give the inverse or related function. This make the PC-6 very usable as a calculator compared to the FX-730p. It still suffers from the lack of a recall of last entry. The clamshell design make the PC-6 much smaller (when folded) and so fits in smaller pockets.

The keyboard in the upper half has alpha, BASIC commands and other characters. Unfortunately it is a membrane design which is not as nice as hard keys.

In summary the PC-6 is much better if you want to use the computer as a calculator.

I've got a PC-6 too, and aside from the questionable durability (mine's a bit flaky on the screen connection) and the membrane keyboard that I'm not in love with, it's a nice upgrade from the fx-730P. Conveniently, both of these models can use the same memory modules. The PC-6 also has that strange assembler with simulated CPU, though I don't know how much practical value it adds. And like other Casios, it's still lacking the replay feature as you mentioned. It's nice and pocketable, though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which BASIC pocket computers make the best calculators? - Dave Britten - 04-04-2021 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)