50g - Differences in production batches
04-14-2021, 04:33 PM
RE: 50g - Differences in production batches
(04-03-2021 08:51 AM)Michael Lopez Wrote:  Does anyone know why the Blue unit doesn't have a serial number?

I don't know, but my blue unit doesn't have serial number on the back either. (It was bought on eBay in September of 2014.) Nor does it recognise the SERIAL command.

(04-13-2021 11:33 PM)WallyEmm Wrote:  Are there any significant differences (other than age) between early models and later models? Is one preferable to the other, assuming firmware is updated to the latest version?

The older models came with with a "leather" case whereas (some?) newer ones had a fabric case of ballistic nylon (I think it might be called). I was surprised to learn that my "leather" cases are actually PVC when they disintegrated in the ghastly way that only vinyl does. This reason alone might be enough to favour a newer model.

The first 50g I got (in late 2006, I think) had its LCD damaged by freezing temperatures while I was waiting for a bus and was replaced by HP under warranty, but the replacement too suffered somewhat from ensuing Canadian winters and has dark areas on the display that increased in number over the years. My newer models have not had this problem so maybe there was a change in the display used; they've certainly been outside with me on many -30C days without mishap.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 50g - Differences in production batches - nlj - 04-14-2021 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)