HP-15c app has a cosmetic problem on newer iPhones
03-28-2021, 07:11 PM
RE: HP-15c app has a cosmetic problem on newer iPhones
(03-28-2021 08:07 AM)Roberto Volpi Wrote:  There are several HP15C apps in the iphone store, but the only one that IMHO works properly is the 15C SciCalc.

Have you tried HP's one? I thought it might also just emulate the hardware and run the actual HP-15c ROM, but it's hard to be sure. The MEM function (and everything else I've tried) certainly seems to work. How do I perform the "Forensic Test"?

I tried the SciCalc app as well, and while for me it performs exactly like the HP app, so seems like a good alternative at first, it has one fatal flaw (well, not fatal, but driving me crazy): Instead of an actual segment display, it just displays the result in what seems to be a seven segment font. There's nothing wrong with that per se, except that unlike on a segment display, elements now take variable space, which the HP's redraw routines don't take into account.

For example, in this emulation decimal points or commas actually shift the digits after it to the right. So just entering any number longer than a few digits makes the display jump around crazily as the calculator flashes the thousands separators on and off, something you don't notice on the real calculator or a properly emulated display, as the digits stay in the same position there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-15c app has a cosmetic problem on newer iPhones - anyfoo - 03-28-2021 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)