Thread Closed 
Are the members of the HP Prime team doing well?
01-23-2021, 08:13 PM
RE: Are the members of the HP Prime team doing well?
(01-23-2021 01:22 AM)bbergman Wrote:  ... HP has always been focused on their big money makers, and after they jettisoned the original calculator division entirely (what was that, maybe early 2000's? Late 1990's?), I suspect that they really have only kept it alive because of the personal passion and heroics of HP employees who didn't want to see it end.

We've heard from ex-HP folks for decades that they, not leadership, were the ones who pushed internally to keep the calculators alive; that they were the ones who created value propositions and sold others on the value; who put thousands of hours of their personal and family time into the products; and who continued to champion the calculator division.

It's my belief that if Tim and Cyrille ever left, the calculator division would die a quiet and permanent death. Any of us who have an interest in any current models owe them our sincere gratitude for keeping some calculators alive all this time. It's a labor of love for sure. I don't expect this will change either, since HP just doesn't have time for it...

Though we here are passionate about HP calculators the market for physical calculators is too small to interest a multinational corporation. I hope that if/when HP exits the market they can be persuaded to open-source their code so that small companies like Swiss Micros (or even smaller start-ups) can make compatible calculators without dancing around copyright issues.

Judging by HP's behavior as a corporate citizen that is unlikely but I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are the members of the HP Prime team doing well? - John Keith - 01-23-2021 08:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)