Are the latest 50g cheaply made?
06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Are the latest 50g cheaply made?
(06-05-2014 06:29 PM)eried Wrote:  Is this true? Anyone have several ones to compare? (It can feel cheaper as a residual perception from the cheap new case)

I have a late beta prototype, which I've used since before the product was released in 2006. I bought a second (brand new) for development less than a month ago.
The weight is the same, they feel about the same. The display in the new one seems to be a lighter tone, but has worst contrast than the old one when used in 16 grayscale mode (perfectly fine under normal use).
I don't see any fabrication imperfections, they both look identical which is a good thing to say, my 8-year old calc was used almost daily and still looks and feels just the same as the new one, if it wasn't for the serial number in the back (my prototype doesn't have one), I would have a hard time telling them apart.

The leather pouch however, peeled off completely several years ago.

My use case is not exactly light: I destroyed several keys of my 49G+ only after 6 moths of use (destroyed as in they would stick on my fingers and fall off, and I had to pick them off the floor to continue typing, how's that for a user experience!), yet the 50g did survive 8 years like new. For today's standards, I'd say it wasn't cheaply made, even the paint on the keys and around the keys is still intact.

Claudio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Are the latest 50g cheaply made? - eried - 06-05-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: Are the latest 50g cheaply made? - Claudio L. - 06-06-2014 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)