The HP-71 and the Ubiquitous Binary File
08-15-2020, 06:52 PM
RE: The HP-71 and the Ubiquitous Binary File
(08-15-2020 04:19 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  The HHP and CMT 32K and 64K EPROM modules are using one logical chip (and a single EPROM actually) so the checksums of each 16KB block were no more really needed, and the CMT tools are using a single checksum byte that is simply the last byte of the EPROM.
I found this checksum scheme much better and simpler.

I don't agree with this. IMHO a single 1 byte checksum over a size of 32KB or more makes no sense in my eyes any more. The risk of multiple errors resulting into a correct checksum grows with the size of the checksum area.

Just think about transfer protocols. One of the easiest ones is the X-Modem protocol with a block size of 128 byte. With a block size of 128 bytes you can protect the data block using an 8 bit checksum or a 16 bit CRC. The 16 bit CRC should be prefered by the receiver. When you use X-Modem-1K with a block size of 1024 bytes, the use of the 16 bit CRC is mandatory.

So lets have a look back into the HP calculator world end of 80'ies. The next calculator generation, still without a CRC generator, is the 18C and 28C. Here a 32KB ROM block is protected by a 16 bit checksum. Using checksums in the Saturn CPU family ended with the Low End Pioneer series calculators with the 1LU7 Bert chip. There for the 10KB ROM a 16bit checksum is used. All others and later ones used one or more 16 bit CRC's.

There's one exception, I found no protection in the HP39/40 ROM. A self test on this calculator shows no result of a ROM check and even more, changing larger parts of the ROM, don't bother the self test. The HP49G is better in this case, here I know that the 1st 32KB containing the BOOT block has no CRC. All other Flash pages use CRC's also the objects in the Port2 memory.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The HP-71 and the Ubiquitous Binary File - Christoph Giesselink - 08-15-2020 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)