What happened between 39gii and prime?
08-19-2019, 07:32 AM
RE: What happened between 39gii and prime?
(08-19-2019 04:11 AM)jlind Wrote:  Saw the remark about the Prime being a "pimped up education calculator". First, it's much more powerful than the TI-84 Plus CE, which is the current make and model of choice now for secondary education. HP has no comparable product to compete with it. The Prime G2 (rev D) and Nspire CX II CAS, HP's and TI's flagships, are roughly on par with each other. They're overkill for most secondary education until students reach more advanced calculus topics. They're best suited for post-secondary and university students. Second, the education market is the cash cow. With the entrenchment TI has in North America, HP is pursuing the European market in which TI doesn't have nearly the domination. Going where the competition is weaker makes sense strategically. A brute force frontal assault on the US education market would be an exercise in very expensive futility.

Regarding the HP 48 line with its 49 and 50g successors, there is no viable market for them any more. I don't see HP generating a successor for the 50g. The minuscule sales volume wouldn't justify the non-recurring development cost. The TI-89 Titanium may still be in production after fifteen years, but I don't give it long before it's dropped from TI's product portfolio with no replacement. I'm surprised it made it this long. Their Nspire is in its third major hardware revision since its introduction in 2007.

John

HI John.
Imho you explained my opinion better than me :-)

In my department lives several mid-ageengineers who, like me, use HP48 series calcs, some old dinosaurs using HP41/32/42/35s (the latter due to hardware failure of 32s) and a bunch of millennials using Excel and cheap Sharp or Casio 4-bangers.
Ti is not present, as well as modern Cas calculators.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What happened between 39gii and prime? - Marco Polo - 08-19-2019 07:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)